Posts Tagged ‘popcorn lung’

Popcorn is Dangerous

Microwave Popcorn, a hazard to your health

At least the microwave variety is.

Don’t you just love that smell of molten butter that permeates through the house as your corn pops in the microwave?

Here’s the shock.

That smell can kill you.


That wonderful sweet cloying smell that makes you want more popcorn is


an ingredient in the flavouring.

Diacetyl and acetoin are two compounds that give butter its characteristic taste, that’s why it is used in margarine, or margarine simply wouldn’t have a flavour.

The United States National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has suggested diacetyl, when used in artificial butter flavoring (as used in many consumer foods), may be hazardous when heated and inhaled over a long period.

Workers in several factories that manufacture artificial butter flavoring have been diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare and serious disease of the lungs. The cases found have been mainly in young, healthy, nonsmoking males. Lung transplantation is the only known cure for bronchiolitis obliterans.

While several authorities have called the disease “popcorn worker’s lung”, a more accurate term suggested by other doctors may be more appropriate, since the disease can occur in any industry working with diacetyl: diacetyl-induced bronchiolitis obliterans.” – Wikipedia

‘Popcorn lung’: Wayne Watson wins $7.2m in US court

A US man has been awarded $7.2m (£4.4m) in damages after claiming he developed “popcorn lung” from inhaling the artificial butter in microwave popcorn.

A Colorado jury agreed with Wayne Watson that a popcorn manufacturer should have had warning labels that the bag’s fumes were dangerous to inhale.

Defence lawyers argued that Mr Watson’s problems stemmed from years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.

He developed respiratory problems in 2007, after regularly eating popcorn.

“Popcorn lung” is a form of irreversible obstructive lung disease that scars the lung and makes it difficult for air to flow out.

Read more


Another case of the industry not telling the consumers what they are eating and the side effects.


%d bloggers like this: